NJ EXCEL Application
Please take the time to read the following information related to the NJ EXCEL Admissions and Selection Process.
Following submission of your online application and resume, you will be contacted to schedule an interview. Prior to the interview, please gather the material listed below to bring with you on the day of your interview. You will be sent an e-mail verifying the time of the interview and reiterating what you need to bring to the interview.
- Copies of all graduate degrees;
- Copies of all New Jersey certifications;
- School District Statement of Support [Click here to download template];
- District Letter of Verification* for completion of at least four years of full-time teaching/educational specialist experience (required for Model #2 and #3 only) [Click here to download letter template];
- District Letter of Verification* for completion of at least four years of full-time supervisor experience in a position that required supervisor certification (required for Model #1 only) [Click here to download letter template];
- Copy of current Job Description (required for Model #1 only).
Note: If you have accumulated at least 4 years of experience in more than one district to, please submit a Letter of Verification from each district on district letterhead with appropriate authorizing signature (i.e. Director of Human Resources).
Upon receipt of your complete Application Packet, you will be contacted to schedule an interview. The interview will be scheduled for approximately one hour during which you will present and discuss your professional portfolio or work samples that demonstrate your experience, knowledge and application of effective instructional, supervisory and leadership practices. You will also complete a writing sample, which will be discussed with you as part of the interview and admissions process. Finally, all necessary documents and paperwork will be checked prior to admission.
Your credentials, interview, portfolio/work samples, and writing sample will be assessed using criteria and an Applicant Selection Rubric designed to ensure consistency and fairness in the admissions process, and the selection of applicants who demonstrate the potential to successfully complete NJ EXCEL Program requirements and become effective school leaders. To view the Applicant Selection Rubric [Click here to download the Applicant Selection Rubric]
Applicant Selection and Notification
Following all interviews for your preferred cohort, NJ EXCEL staff will confer on selection of applicants. You will be notified in writing via email of your status approximately 45 days before the start date of the cohort. Your status will be in one of the following categories:
- Accepted/Waiting List (will be admitted if space becomes available; automatically accepted for next scheduled cohort;
- Not Accepted.
For further information: All questions may be directed to Wanda Grant at firstname.lastname@example.org or (609) 860-1200.