The State Board of Education approved several appointments to the Department’s executive team and announced the formation of several standing committees at a delayed February meeting.
Delayed a week in light of inclement weather, February’s meeting was not without an importance focus – replacing management staff in light of gubernatorial transition.
- Kellie LeDet, Chief of Staff / Assistant Commissioner, Division of Executive Services
- The Chief of Staff/Assistant Commissioner of the Division of Executive Services oversees the activities of the following offices: the Chief Public Affairs Office, which includes the Office of Media Relations and Strategic Outreach; the Chief Administrative Officer’s Unit, which includes the Office of Administration and the Office of Human Resources. The Chief of Staff oversees special projects for the Governor and the Commissioner and coordinates Department initiatives across divisions.
- Paula White, Assistant Commissioner, Division of Talent & Performance
- Across these functions, priority work streams include implementing the educator evaluation system, implementing enhancements to teacher preparation, delivering the PARCC assessment, providing student-level analysis, creating annual school performance reports, and ensuring quality student and staff data collections, reporting and management.
- Colleen Schulz-Eskow, Deputy Chief of Staff, Division of Executive Services
- Jacqueline Backlund, Director, Office of Human Resources
- The office consists of two sections. The Employee Relations and Benefits section is responsible for the Department’s labor relations process and all payroll functions, salary adjustments, administration of health and dental benefits with the NJ State Health Benefits Program, active employee pension questions, employment/mortgage verifications, temporary disability, resignations and separations, risk management, donated leave program, sick leave of absence (including but not limited to Federal Medical Leave and State Family Leave), workers compensation and the Employee Advisory Service. In addition, the Benefits and Leave section is responsible for the administration of the eCATS time-keeping system and position control.The Recruitment, Classification and Exams section is responsible for recruitment, the certification process, new hires, pension enrollment, orientations, promotion/title changes, retirement, reclassifications and appeals, probationary process, Employee Performance Assessment Review (PAR) and the Employee Service and Recognition Award Programs.
- Carolyn J. Marano, Assistant Commissioner, Division of Learning Supports & Specialized Services
- This Assistant Commissioner oversees the Holocaust Commission, Comprehensive Support Network, Support Services, Services for Students with Disabilities, Special Education, and Supplemental Educational Programs that include programs for bilingual, disadvantaged, homeless, immigrant and migrant students. The deputy oversees development of the New Jersey Tiered System of Supports, New Jersey’s framework for academic and behavioral interventions based on Response to Intervention and multi-tiered systems of support and intervention and referral services. The deputy organizes interdivisional efforts to provide professional development on supports and interventions that are integrated and that improve achievement and outcomes for all students.
In addition, State Board President announced the formation of several standing committees including:
Mary Elizabeth Gazi, Chair
Ronald Butcher, Chair
Assessment (charged with reviewing current assessment priorities and implementation)
Nedd Johnson, Chair
Mary Beth Berry
Mary Beth Berry, Chair
Mary Elizabeth Gazi
Ernest Lepore, Chair
National Association of State Boards of Education (NASBE)
Andrew Mulvihill, Chair
Career and Technical Education
Kathy Goldenberg, Chair
Mary Beth Berry