The Senate State Government Committee released bill S-1913 (Sweeney) May 14. The legislation would tighten the criteria and the process by which disability pensions are granted in the various pension systems including the Teachers’ Pensions and Annuity Fund (TPAF).
Richardson’s and Its Progeny’s Impact
- his injuries were not induced by the stress and strain of the normal work effort;
- that he met involuntarily with the object or matter that was the source of the harm; and
- the source of the injury itself was a great rush of force or uncontrollable power.
- identifiable as to time and place;
- undesigned and unexpected;
- caused by a circumstance external to the member (not the result of pre-existing disease which is aggravated or accelerated by the work);
- that the traumatic event occurred during the member’s regular and assigned duties and not the result of willful negligence; and
- resulted in mental or physical incapacity from performing the usual duties of the job.