Connected Action Roadmap: A Systems Approach to Strengthening Teaching, Leading, and Learning
The New Jersey Department of Education, in collaboration with the major New Jersey educational organizations, seeks to ensure equitable access to high quality education and post-secondary success for all students. We value a strategic and collaborative approach that connects standards-based curriculum, instruction, assessment and professional learning in a school culture that promotes an ongoing process of reflection on and growth in student learning. We commit to strengthening teaching, leading, and learning by supporting districts to:
● develop a viable standards-based curriculum that directly informs classroom instruction and assessment;
● create a comprehensive assessment system that includes ongoing formative and summative assessments resulting in data that informs practice and drives student learning;
● promote a shared understanding of effective teaching, leading, and learning that informs job-embedded professional learning;
● operate as professional learning communities characterized by strong collaboration, shared leadership with a focus on curriculum, instruction, and assessment; and
● foster a climate for student and adult learning marked by mutual respect, shared leadership, and high expectations for every student.
We believe that a comprehensive statewide commitment to these principles will continue New Jersey’s standing as a national leader in educational practice.