Senate Judiciary Approves Nomination of Acting Commissioner & Host Of State Board of Ed Members
The Senate Judiciary committee approved a number of nominations June 15 to the State Board of Education at the same time they approved the nomination of Acting Commissioner Kimberley Harrington.
From Acting to Actual
The committee moved the approval of Acting Commissioner Kimberley Harrington for review and approval by the full Senate June 15, after a short cordial questions. NJPSA Executive Director Pat Wright was on hand in support of the nominee, as were a number of other education stakeholders.
Harrington, who has been serving in an ‘acting capacity’ since the resignation of former Commissioner David C. Hespe, is expected to be approved by the full Senate in the near future. Her nomination was released unanimously (12-0)
State Board of Ed Reappointments &Appointments
Also approved were a number of reappointments to the State Board, including:
· Arcelio Aponte, of Piscataway, to succeed himself, for the term prescribed by law.
· Ronald K. Butcher, Ph.D., of Glassboro, to succeed himself, for the term prescribed by law.
· Jack Fornaro, of Mansfield Township, to succeed himself, for the term prescribed by law.
· Ernest Lepore, Ph.D., of West New York, to succeed himself, for the term prescribed by law.
· Andrew J. Mulvihill, of Andover, to succeed himself, for the term prescribed by law.
In addition, the committee approved the nomination of Sylvia Sylvia, of Ocean, to replace J. Peter Simon, who resigned from the board earlier this year.
Finally, the board approved the reappointment of the Chairman of the Schools Development Authority – Edward S. Walsh, P.E.